Resources for Families Learning Together at Home | Our Response to COVID-19 Closures
Families, while you and your students are home due to many COVID-19 precautionary closures, United WE READ remains committed to our mission of “engaging, empowering, and equipping all children, families, and the Greater Kingsport community with tools and strategies that build a literacy rich culture, and a pathway to lifelong success.”
Right now, that pathway to success may take the form of online learning resources, free books for kids, and partnering with our school districts who continue to provide basic needs like breakfast and lunch. Check back here often for an ongoing, updated list of some of the best resources we can round up.
Remember, the best thing you can do to help your student during this time is to be a safe, stable, and nurturing presence in their life. And, as always, we encourage you to “#READ20 Minutes Every Day!”
- School Nutrition Information
- Kingsport City Schools – View full details here.
- Sullivan County Schools – View full details here.
- Other districts in our region – view this article from Bristol Herald Courier. Or this one from WJHL.
- General Food Availability
- FeedKingsport.org is keeping an updated list.
- Internet Services
- FREE Internet services for families with K-12 students from Charter Spectrum.
- Emergency Childcare
- YMCA of Greater Kingsport is offering limited childcare for first responders, government workers, healthcare professionals, mission critical workers, and parents who need to support their families.
- Other helpful links
- Sullivan County Schools – List of recommended learn-at-home options.
- Tennessee R.E.A.D.S. Online Library access for anyone with a library card. Download the Libby App to use on your phone or device.
- Amplify Reading is offering free access (through June 30th) to its digital, adaptive, K–5 supplemental literacy program that helps all students in building skills in decoding, fluency, vocabulary, comprehension, and close reading through age-appropriate adventures.
- PBS KIDS offers a free daily newsletter with activities and tips to help kids play and learn at home. Their website also has tons of fun and educational resources, including videos, games, free apps, articles, and more.
- Scholastic is offering free Learn at Home curriculum for all grade levels.
- ABC Mouse online curriculum for ages 2-8. Free membership right now with this code: SCHOOL7771
- Reading and Writing activities from Sesame Street in Communities
- Free Online Preschool Classes from The Atlanta Speech School | Cox Campus for ages 18 mos to 4 yrs.
- Art and Play Activity Guide for Learning from Home from Art Bar Blog.
- Skills questions for reading, math, and more! Find your grade level and get started! from IXL Learning.
- Epic! Books digital library. Free 30 day trial, or your student may already have a “class code” from a school or teacher to enter.
- Storyline Online from the SAG foundation posts videos of celebrities reading children’s books out loud.
- Read Together Be Together initiative from Penguin Random House. Scroll down to “Digital Events” for a wealth of online read-aloud resources!
- Understanding Coronavirus and How Germs Spread from BrainsOn! science podcast for kids.
- Just For Kids: A Comic Exploring the New Coronavirus from NPR.
Mental Health & Physical Well-being
- Taking Care of Your Emotional Health During a Disaster or Traumatic Event from the CDC
- Staying Healthy & “H is for Handwashing” from Sesame Street in Communities
- Talking to Kids About the Coronavirus from the Child Mind Institute
- Cosmic Kids Yoga – YouTube channel with fun videos and characters to practice mindfulness.
- Go Noodle – Get the fun and energy flowing with a mental break!
- Helping Children and Teens Cope with Anxiety About COVID-19 from Seattle’s Children’s
- How to Talk to Your Kids About Coronavirus from PBS KIDS
- How You and Your Kids Can De-Stress During CoronaVirus from PBS KIDS
- Helping Children Cope with Emergencies from the CDC
- Avoiding “Panic-Working” from Home from Bloomberg Opinion